I’m so excited about this sugar free frosting that is suitable for GAPS/SCD! I had no idea cooked frosting could be this simple or tasty. This fluffy marshmallow frosting is going to be my new standard frosting- whether the cake I’m making is grain and sugar free or not.
Simple Meringue Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 egg whites, eggs at room temperature will be easier to separate
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
Simple Meringue Frosting Directions
This recipe takes less than 10 minutes, but it does have to be done all at once. The honey must be poured into the egg whites while it is still hot or it will solidify. The hot honey also cooks the egg whites.
- Heat honey in a saucepan over medium heat 5-10 minutes; until mixture bubbles and darkens.
- Meanwhile, separate two eggs, being very careful to avoid getting any yolk in with the whites.
- Add the salt to the egg whites.
- Put two whites in a stand mixer with a whip attachment, or use a hand held mixer and a bowl held steady by a helper.
- Mix starting on medium.
- As the eggs start to froth, turn the mixer up to high.
- At the same time you turn the mixer up to high, start pouring the honey in with a thin steady stream, taking about 1 minute to pour in the hot honey.
- Continue mixing on high as the frosting fluffs and thickens and is cool enough to touch, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the optional vanilla while mixing.
- Use a spatula or butter knife to frost cupcakes, or spoon into a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes for a more decorative look. The icing goes on the cupcakes or cake easiest if used within a couple hours of making.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.